Saturday, June 23, 2012

Everything you need to know about heartworm disease in dogs and cats


Listen to internet radio with Roger Welton DVM on Blog Talk Radio
Airs Friday, June 1, 2012, 9PM EST. Listen to this podcast directly from my show page by CLICKING HERE

Dear Listeners, Viewers, and Readers:
I like to update coverage of heartworm disease at least yearly not only to keep up with current preventive and treatment modalities, but because of so much lack of general knowledge about the disease among pet owners.  Such a common disease in dogs, and rising in cats, it always surprises me how little the average pet owner knows about heartworm disease.  So this evening, I will explain heartworm disease, from transmission to clinical infection, to advanced and end stage disease, to treatment, to prevention.  I will discuss its relevance in both canine and feline species, as well as briefly review the major heartworm prevention options available (there seems to be a new one out on the market every time I turn my head). 

We have 3 excellent listeners e-mail questions to address this evening, and always, I invite you to post comments right here at the blog or submit e-mail comments/questions to be addressed by me on the air, by sending them to comments@web-dvm.net.

Thank you as always for caring about what I have to say!

Roger Welton, DVM
Dr. Roger Welton is the President and chief veterinarian at Maybeck Animal Hospital in West Melbourne Florida, as well as CEO of the veterinary advice and health management website Web-DVM.net.

No comments: